B.C.C. (Bob) van der Zwaan
Prof. dr. B.C.C. (Bob) van der Zwaan
Faculty of Science
Van 't Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences
1090 GD Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Bob van der Zwaan is senior scientist at the Policy Studies department of the Energy research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN), Professor of Sustainable Energy Technology at the Faculty of Science of the University of Amsterdam, and Adjunct Professor of International Relations at Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) in Bologna. From 2007 to 2013 he was visiting senior research scientist at Columbia University’s Lenfest Center for Sustainable Energy (Earth Institute) in New York. He is co-director of the International Energy Workshop (IEW), member of the Council of the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, and lead author for Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 4th and 5th Assessment Reports). He held several visiting professorships, most recently at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH, Stockholm, 2010) and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IFW, 2008), and held research positions at Harvard University (Cambridge, 2002-2005), the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (1999-2001), Stanford University (Paolo Alto, 1999-2000), the Institut Français des Relations Internationales (IFRI, Paris, 1997-1999) and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN, Geneva, 1992-1995). He was trained in economics (MPhil, 1995-1997, University of Cambridge, King’s College), physics (PhD, 1991-1995, CERN/NIKHEF, University of Nijmegen; MSc, 1987-1991, University of Utrecht) and international relations (Certificate, 1993-1994, IUHEI, University of Geneva). His research includes the fields of energy and climate change, environmental economics and technological innovation. He is (co-)author of over 100 peer-reviewed scientific articles, and contributor to (or editor of) a dozen books and book chapters.
- Cameron, L., B.C.C. van der Zwaan, “Employment Factors for Wind and Solar Energy Technologies: a Literature Review”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 45, 2015, 160-172.
- Tavoni, T., E. Kriegler, K. Riahi, D. van Vuuren, T. Aboumahboub, A. Bowen, K. Calvin, E. Campiglio, T. Kober, J. Jewell, G. Luderer, G. Marangoni, D. McCollum, M. van Sluisveld, A. Zimmer and B.C.C. van der Zwaan, “Post-2020 climate agreements in the major economies assessed in the light of global models”, Nature Climate Change, 5, February 2015, 119-126.
- Tavoni, T., E. Kriegler, K. Riahi, D. van Vuuren, T. Aboumahboub, A. Bowen, K. Calvin, E. Campiglio, T. Kober, J. Jewell, G. Luderer, G. Marangoni, D. McCollum, M. van Sluisveld, A. Zimmer and B.C.C. van der Zwaan, “Post-2020 climate agreements in the major economies assessed in the light of global models”, Nature Climate Change, published online 15 December 2014, DOI: 10.1038/nclimate2475.
- Mikunda, T., T. Kober, H. de Coninck, M. Bazilian, H. Rösler, B.C.C. van der Zwaan, “Designing policy for deployment of CCS in industry”, Climate Policy, 2014, pp.1-12.
- Kober, T., B.C.C. van der Zwaan, H. Rösler, “Emission Certificate Trade and Costs under Regional Burden-Sharing Regimes for a 2˚C Climate Change Control Target”, Climate Change Economics, 5, 1, 2014, 1440001, pp.1-32.
- Rösler, H., B.C.C. van der Zwaan, I.J. Keppo and J.J.C. Bruggink, “Electricity versus Hydrogen for Passenger Cars under Stringent Climate Change Control”, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, 5, 2014, pp.106-118.
- McCollum, D., Y. Nagai, K. Riahi, G. Marangoni, K. Calvin, R. Pietzcker, J. van Vliet, B.C.C. van der Zwaan, “Energy Investments under Climate Policy: A Comparison of Global Models”, Climate Change Economics, 4, 4, 2013, 1340010, pp.1-37.
- Jewell, J., A. Cherp, V. Vinichenko, N. Bauer, T. Kober, D. McCollum, D.P. van Vuuren, B.C.C. van der Zwaan, “Energy Security of China, India, the E.U. and the U.S. under Long-Term Scenarios: Results from Six IAMs”, Climate Change Economics, 4, 4, 2013, 1340011, pp.1-33.
- van der Zwaan, B.C.C., H. Rösler, T. Kober, T. Aboumahboub, K.V. Calvin, D.E.H.J. Gernaat, G. Marangoni, D.L. McCollum, “A Cross-Model Comparison of Global Long-Term Technology Diffusion under a 2°C Climate Change Control Target”, Climate Change Economics, 4, 4, 2013, 1340013, pp.1-24.
- Calvin, K., M. Wise, D. Klein, D. McCollum, M. Tavoni, B.C.C. van der Zwaan, D.P. van Vuuren, “A Multi-Model Analysis of the Regional and Sectoral Roles of Bioenergy in Near- and Long-Term CO2 Emissions Reduction”, Climate Change Economics, 4, 4, 2013, 1340014, pp.1-32.
- van der Zwaan, B.C.C., I.J. Keppo, F. Johnsson, “How to Decarbonize the Transport Sector?”, Energy Policy, 61, 2013, pp.562-573.
- van der Zwaan, B.C.C., L. Cameron, T. Kober, “Potential for Renewable Energy Jobs in the Middle East”, Energy Policy, 60, 2013, pp.296-304.
- van der Zwaan, B.C.C., “The Role of Nuclear Power in Mitigating Emissions from Electricity Generation”, Energy Strategy Reviews, 1, 2013, pp.296-301.